Protect your back and bottom by having the best ergonomic chairs for your home office
If you’re like many us real state agents, you have found that due to COVID-19 that you’ve had to establish a real home office. Since we are sitting all day, it is essential to have the best ergonomic chairs in your home office your budget will allow.
Of course, many of us have had what we thought was a great home office for months or even years. In these new interesting times of coronavirus quarantines, we’re finding that working all day at home and sitting at our desks all day long that much of our furniture lacks quality and comfort.
This post may contain affiliate links, including some that are Amazon Affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for purchases through the links (at no cost to you). This does not change my opinion of the product or service, but does help to support the site. Thank you!
Sitting in the same place all day, you quickly find out why a $29 chair is nothing like a $129 desk chair.
You also find out why a $129 desk chair is nothing like a $229 desk chair, which is nothing like a $329, $429, and well, you get the point.
You do get more with what you pay, and for $29 or even in the lower triple-digit price points, you don’t get a good ergonomic desk chair.
The chairs in the lower price points are pretty much going to be designed to accommodate occasional use, fit snugly underneath the desk, or counter and will allow some comfort if you’re sitting there for maybe an hour or two, not more.
Once you get in the higher price points, you get many features that you can’t get on the less expensive chair.
Why Durability Matters for Your Desk Chair
First and foremost, in the higher price points, you get durability. Especially in these changing times, where we may see ourselves working from home more often and may even decide to have that be our permanent office, durability is necessary.
There is nothing worse than getting a new desk chair and then realizing about halfway through the first year owning it that you need a budget to purchase a new one yet. Very frustrating, and with all the different models available very time consuming doing the research.
The big reason you want to do your research and consider your seating patterns and how you will be using the chair is to make sure that it will accommodate your needs ergonomically.
Most, if not all, have sat on a chair too long at one time or another. Only to find ourselves hurting in the back, the hips, or the side. Maybe a sore neck even.
Perhaps you’re getting tired of sitting where you find your wrist hurting as you type for any length of time. That could be because of the ergonomics of your seating position.
Bad ergonomics can be dangerous since it could lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, amongst other ergonomic issues.
I have made the mistake of saving a couple of dollars by buying not the best desk chair, and I believe I have learned my lesson.
My most recent acquisition is the desk chair below, and as you can read a description, it offers a lot of features that a less expensive chair would not.
- COMFORTABLE - Thanks to this state-of-the-art office chair’s numerous adjustable features you can be assured of finding a comfortable seating position just for you. You can adjust the headrest height and angle; the lumbar support height and depth; the armrest height and distance from seat; the seat height; the backrest tilt; and the tilt tension
- BREATHABLE MESH - The breathable mesh back on this ergonomic office chair provides support while keeping your back cool and comfortable. Cool air circulates through the mesh keeping your back sweat-free and allowing you to sit in the chair comfortably for longer periods of time compared to traditional chairs
- BACK SUPPORT - Have back issues or don’t want to develop them? This adjustable office chair includes adjustable lumbar support and a recline feature that allows you to tilt the backrest back or sit straight. Now you can quickly find a position that makes your back feel the most comfortable!
- EASY TO INSTALL - Simple instructions enable anyone to put this executive chair together in eight simple steps! Then once built you’ll be able to adjust the chair to your individual needs. The chair’s pneumatic controls will let you raise or lower the seat and tilt back the backrest or sit straight up. You can easily find the ergonomic position that will allow you to work comfortably for long periods of time
- HIGHEST QUALITY - This adjustable task chair is made to last. It has a weight capacity of 330 LBS and is made from the highest quality materials, including a soft cushion seat, sturdy arm and head rests and rollerblade caster wheels that allow you to move easily across the office floor. Get your office chair – and boost your work comfort! Your purchase will be backed by a 100% money-back guarantee. Try this chair for 90 days - if you don't love it, you can return it
This chair accommodates instead of having regular rollers has wheels that are much like you would have on roller blades, so they move very quickly almost on almost any kind of service.
As well as being height adjustable, the arms also will move up and down independently of one another. Height-adjustable arms allow me to have the chair going under and up to the desk properly and have adequate support when typing or doing other work at my desk.
Since I sit at my desk quite a lot, I have to have a good cushion, and this one here actually is firm, which is what I like but does allow ample support.
The back is mesh, which allows it to be airier, which is excellent since I run the gamut of my day having hot flashes one minute and then being cold the next. The benefits of getting old!
And the last two items are what I thought was not a big deal, but I have found to be rather significant.
It was adjusting and locking the back to be straight up and down close to my back when I’m typing to a more relaxed or laid-back and adjustable when I’m talking on the phone. As I said earlier, I didn’t know that was a feature that I desired until I have it.
The last feature that goes back to put on it like my typing position is the headrest, which is both adjustable for height and how much it pushes against the back of my head and neck.
Having a multi-adjustable headrest has been a great feature, significantly since I am in my home office 12 hours most times, and I can develop a lot of pain in my neck if I’m not careful.
Of course, there are many other options available, and below are some of the best selling desk chairs that Amazon currently offers.
Doing your research, you want to make sure you consider what I mentioned that were features on my chair and anything else that you think might be important to you.
One item you might want to consider is if the chair is to be used by other parties other than yourself?
If it is to be used by others, you want to most likely consider a chair with perhaps more height options than the chair that I selected. Even though I’ll be honest, I think it would work for varying body types.
You don’t read a lot of information about this, but you’ll see that some desk chairs are designed for parties in specific weight classes if you go into the specifications.
I never considered a chair’s weight limitations, but being a heavier person could cause it to wear out too soon if you buy a chair designed for a smaller person.
Standing Desk Seating
Perhaps you have a standing desk, which I do. Then you also want to select a chair according to that need.
In my case, I know they make a standing desk chair for people who use their standing desk at least 50% of their day. I know that I should, but I don’t. I’m still working on that part of my New Year’s resolutions.
But if you use your standing desk correctly, you might survive by having this style of a chair as both your standing desk chair and your chair that you do work.
One word of what I guess I would say caution with this style chair is that it is more of a lean-to chair for when you were standing up, and when you are sitting down on it, it is more a firm chair that holds you up much like a stool. It’s great for core exercises since it does shift back-and-forth.
However, a standing desk chair like the one above I would not say would fit in most people’s idea of being there only desk chair since it is not that comfortable if you were writing or talking on the phone a portion of your day. That’s where I think a more conventional desk chair shines.
For me, what I did is I have both. Since my conventional desk chair moves so easily off the chair mat that I have, I’m able to push it off to the corner of my office, and then since the standing desk chair is not very heavy, I can move it into position. This way, I have the best of both worlds!
Well, that’s just a couple of the considerations you want to get when you’re selecting a new desk chair for your home office. There are many others, and I might suggest reading articles on ergonomics for those considerations.
As you review these and other desk chairs’ specifications, they may raise questions and haven’t yet considered.
Don’t Forget Your Chair Mat
Also, don’t forget that when you order your desk chair, make sure that you also consider that you might need to get a chair mat for that.
This chair mat is the model that I have right now, and it is the best that I have ever had; and I have had a home office for many years on again off again.
- ✅ HEAVY DUTY- NON TOXIC ODOR - LASTS FOR YEARS! A typical carpet floor protector can’t handle everyday wear and dents & cracks easily. Made of tough, heavy duty, durable 100% POLYCARBONATE our 48” x 36” carpet protector resists damage. Its TRANSPARENT and fits any home office décor!
- ✅ NO MORE SLIPPING, SLIDING AND FRUSTRATION! Many mats don’t have enough grip to hold onto carpet & end up sliding around your floor. Our design features a pronged base with studs that holds securely to the carpet.
- ✅ NO BENDING OR CURLING EDGES! Unlike a plastic mat or pad, our chair mats for carpeted floors are thick, creating a firm smooth surface your wheels won’t sink into. Plus, our office chair mats WON’T BEND. No annoying hills or edges sticking up.
- ✅ ENVIROMENTAL FRIENDLY - 100% RECYCLABLE - FREE FROM HARMFUL TOXICS! PVC, Vinyl, Phthalate free which stimulates a healthy indoor environment.
- ✅ NOT INTENDED FOR HARDFLOOR OR HARDWOOD MATS ONLY CLEAN WITH WATER - CHEMICALS CAN CAUSE CRACKS
Ensuring that you have the best desk chair, mat, and overall furnishings in your home office is necessary. When you find yourself working from home for 6, 8, or even more hours a day, your back and the rest of your body will thank you.
So do you plan on upgrading your seating soon? Perhaps you have already selected a desk chair that’s going to meet your needs, or you use it only at your home office or your business office also?
Any other considerations not mentioned above proceeding that somebody should consider? You can post your comments in the section below. I look forward to reading them.
Please note that the links on this page may be affiliate links, including some that are Amazon Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also receive compensation from other vendors, but you do not, however, pay more!
Don’t forget to check out my Amazon Influencer Page. You can see many of my favorite real estate marketing tools and various other items I like, all available on Amazon.